Badia a Coltibuono estate gathers today the same property since its origins.
In 1051 Giovanni Gualberto , a monk, received in donation from a powerful local aristocratic family, the church of San Lorenzo a Coltibuono, with the order to built a monastery to host the monks and an hospice for the pilgrins. A community of Benedictine monks moved in with reformist and polemic ideas against the corruption of the church. In short time they gained a preeminent religious, political, social and economic role. Soon many ther donations followed from wealthy aristocrats and poor farmers seeking shelter and protection in those turbulent times. Badia a Coltibuono thus gained a considerable property, that, quite uniquely was not dispersed or split during the following centuries.
The Vallombrosian monks, scholarly and aware of the value of agricultural production, supported a major cultivation of the land, in particular vines and olives, reviving an Etruscan and Roman practices. They also introduced the cultivation of white fir and chestnut: two species that still can be seen surrounding the abbey. Next to agriculture the monks dedicated themselves to scholalrly studies, hospitality and care of the sick.
The latin was name was then: Badia a Cultus Boni, meaning aternatively “ good cult”, “good culture”, “good agriculture” or “good harvest”. A monk’s document from Coltibuono, dated from the 12th century, mentions for the first time ever the word Chianti referring to this area.
Badia a Coltibuono today with its land and activities, is a place that transmits an ensemble of values formed, transformed and preserved by men and women, mostly unknown, through generations over many centuries.